About Johns Hopkins

Return to News Releases

Former Sen. Mikulski releases statement on the death of John McCain

August 25, 2018
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT: Dennis O’Shea
Office: 443-997-9912 / Cell: 410-499-7460
dro@jhu.edu @JHUmediareps

Note: Sen. Mikulski is traveling and not available for interviews.

Former Sen. Barbara Mikulski, D-Md., has released the following statement on the death Saturday of her friend and colleague Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz.

I join with the nation in mourning the death of my most esteemed colleague, Sen. John McCain.

A great loss for his family who loved him, and for Americans who remember him for his patriotism, straight talk, and independence.

Sen. McCain and I both came to the Senate in 1987. As a colleague, I admired him for his character, his conviction and his courage. We served together on the Intelligence Committee and worked together on issues of national security and advocated together for veterans health care. His championship of campaign finance reform always had my support. And he was always responsive to the women of the Senate as we presented the unique needs of women who were wounded warriors; from improperly fitting prostheses to maternity care, he became a key champion.

We often shared laughs about attending Maryland schools at the same time – him at the Naval Academy and me at Mount Saint Agnes. We joked that, although we never danced at a mixer then, we certainly mixed it up in the Senate together over the years.

I’m sure the angels are getting used to the “Straight Talk Express” barreling through the heavenly gates.

Note: Sen. Mikulski, the longest-serving woman in the history of Congress and Maryland’s longest-tenured U.S. senator, retired from Congress in January 2017. She is now professor of public policy and adviser to the president at the Johns Hopkins University.

###

Office of Communications
Johns Hopkins University
3910 Keswick Road, Suite N2600
Baltimore, Maryland 21211
Phone: 443-997-9009 | Fax: 443 997-1006